ACSME 2020 was a celebration of ingenuity, creativity and commitment to high quality education, and showed that the science education community in Australia is stronger than ever. Over 260 academics, professional staff and students from around the country and beyond connected virtually to share good practice and challenges, particularly those arising from the disruptions caused by the pandemic.
Video and poster recordings
- The best of both worlds: integrated online and in-person learning
– Professor Elizabeth Johnson, Deputy Vice Chancellor Education, Deakin University
- Panel discussion: The merits and shortfalls of delivering science labs and tutorials online
– Elizabeth Angstmann (UNSW), Shaun Belward (JCU), Roy Hall (UQ), Madeleine Schultz (Deakin)
- Short- and long-term responses to COVID-19 in the context of quality assurance, quality improvement and scholarship
– Associate Professor Tina Acuna and Dr Jo-Anne Kelder, 2019-2020 ACDS Fellows
- Panel discussion: The student experience of learning science remotely – Dinio Spagnoli (UWA)
IJISME Special Issue:
All ACSME2020 presenters are invited to make a submission to this issue on the work presented at this conference. Submissions of 250-word abstracts are due on Friday 11 December 2020. Abstract review outcomes and invitations to submit manuscripts will be sent to authors by the end of December 2020 and manuscripts will be due 21 February 2021. You can email Ana Lopes if you have any questions.
ACSME 2020 theme: A science education for uncertain times
Now it is more important than ever to develop science graduates who can contribute meaningfully to solving the problems of a complex world facing numerous challenges. The current health crisis that came upon us so suddenly exemplifies the need to be able to pivot and adapt quickly to new circumstances. How are we preparing our science students for the uncertainties they will no doubt encounter in their working lives? How are we as educators changing our teaching practices to achieve this?
- Professor Cristina Varsavsky (Chair) (Monash University, ACDS) email@example.com
- Professor Manju Sharma (University of Sydney) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr Dino Spagnoli (UWA) email@example.com
- Dr Alex Yeung (Curtin University) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr Leonie Hughes (Murdoch University) L.Hughes@murdoch.edu.au
Need more information?
Contact the organisers askACSME@gmail.com